Toys-R-Us Affiliate

Monday, April 24, 2017

National Infertility Awareness Week

This is National Infertility Awareness Week and this week is important for the infertility community. Infertility is defined as the inability to conceive or carry a pregnancy to term after 12 months of trying. Infertility affects 15% of couples, which is 1 in 8 in the United States. That means that you most likely know someone that is battling infertility. They might be vocal and open about it or they might be suffering in silence.  Infertility doesn’t care what color you are, religion you worship, or what job you have, it affects who it wants to affect and leaves people wondering “why me”. Unfortunately society had placed a stigma that infertility is a quiet subject. That it is a women’s “natural place” to have babies, but with 15% of couples struggling it is time to “listen up!”  


To the person that has never had to experience infertility: take the time to listen to others; you don’t have to have experience to understand where someone that is struggling is coming from. You don’t have to have felt the same pain to have compassion for them. Take an interest in their issue; don’t make them feel alone in this battle. Just listen, and validate their experience and emotions.
 
To the people that are struggling with infertility, you are not alone: I am so sorry that you have to experience this. It is the greatest pain I have experienced, but there is always light at the end of a tunnel, a rainbow after a storm. I wish you would be able to share your emotions and experience without the judgment and opinions that others will give. I wish I could take away the hurt, jealousy, anger and resentment that you feel. Make sure to take care of yourself and your spouse; just remember that your time is coming.  

It is time to open our minds and hearts for those coping with infertility. In the end all we should want is happiness for others and ourselves.


As for me, although I have beaten infertility, I will still always be 1 in 8. My 3 miscarriages, PCOS diagnosis, pills of Clomid, injections of Menopur, and 2 IUI’s are apart of my journey.  I am an advocate for infertility and will always cheer others on and offer my support. We are not alone and we cannot let infertility define who we are.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post gave me chills! I am lucky to have you as my wife, best friend, and mother of my children. I love you for everything you are!!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Subscribe to my Newsletter

Follow me