Toys-R-Us Affiliate

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Should I Exclusively Pump? Exclusively Pumping vs. Breastfeeding Part 1


First of all, whether your baby is breast-fed or bottle-fed, breast milk or formula, however you decide to feed your baby is up to you, and I love the term “Fed is Best”. This post is for what has worked for me, and I hope I can help some other mommies with my tips and tricks.

Exclusively Pumping

Both of my boys have received breast milk. With Weston I exclusively pumped, with Nolan I am still exclusively breastfeeding. I always knew that I wanted to breastfeed, which was my original plan with Weston; I tried to breastfeed he just would not latch. So I used a nipple shield, he did better but it still wasn't good enough. Well because he was early they were worried about his weight and about his bilirubin levels, I was told that if I couldn't get him to feed that I would have to supplement him with formula or donor breast milk.
I opted to the breast milk in hopes that I would be able to feed him myself soon. I then started pumping, every two hours I would try and latch him and when he would get so upset that he wasn't getting enough through the shield I would stop, give him a bottle of donor milk and pump. Eventually I started giving him just my milk at the hospital, it was AWESOME! Although I wasn't technically “breastfeeding” I was still providing my baby with all the good things breast milk has to offer. When we got home, the breastfeeding didn't get any easier, so I continued to pump every two hours. The pumping stuck, I just continued to do it day after day. Soon enough I wasn't even trying to latch him I was just warming up a bottle of my milk to give to him.

Tips and Tricks I have learned:

Sessions-When I first started I was pumping every two hours, so 12 times a day, I would wake up and pump even when Wes would sleep. It SUCKED!!! This is so important though, you HAVE to try and trick your body into thinking that it is feeding a baby. Most newborns eat about every two hours, sometimes more, so you have to get your body to make enough milk to provide for that.

Supplements- I took fenugreek, I also ate around 3 granola bars every day. Some women eat oatmeal, but I do not like oatmeal, so granola bars were the way for me.

Pump- Some women need a hospital grade pump, some just need a manual pump. I was gifted a Lansinohdouble electric pump.

Drink- For me I could drink just about anything and it would do nothing but help my supply. Lots of women say water and Gatorade so I would recommend those.

Supplies-You need a pump bra! Without one you will have to hold the flanges on your breasts and that sucks, I did that for about a week and talk about miserable! So I ordered a Simple Wishes bra off of Amazon and it was a lifesaver!

I have also found it important to track my pumping, I wanted to make sure that I was improving and not just getting by. I bought the app MilkMaid and it was very convenient. It tracks it all for you, time you pumped, time since last pumped, amount you pumped, when it expires, even what you have in your freezer stash.


With Wes I was able to pump for 10 months before I retired my flanges. Because I had built up a solid freezer stash, Wes continued to have breast milk until his first birthday. Thanks to the MilkMaid app I kept track and knew that I pumped 7031oz (55 gallons) for my son.
This was just part of my freezer stash. 


Stay tuned for Part 2: Breastfeeding


No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe

Subscribe to my Newsletter

Follow me